Can You Use a Boarding Up Service on Your Residential Property?
We understand that a boarding-up service is only used in extreme circumstances. You might wonder, “can anyone use a boarding up service?” In short, anyone can use a boarding up service. Property security isn’t just reserved for big businesses but can be used by any individual.
What you should know about window security
Choosing someone to board up your windows and doors can’t be left to chance. When using a boarding up service, you are leaving access to your property often to people you have never met before. So here are a few things you should check before booking someone to fix your place.
- Check the reviews. Know the quality of work you are paying for
- Check their experience. Often the more years in this industry means the better level of training you can expect their employees to have
- Check their prices, boarding up companies should charge a fair price for a professional job
- Check that they know their materials. Different woods have different roles in construction so make sure they can use plywood for boarding up
If you ignore taking these steps you risk leaving your property subject to more theft or even damage through negligence.
Boarding up your windows for property security
If you have the time to spare, you can do an effective job of boarding up your windows to provide better property security. So here are the necessary steps to effectively board up any surface:
- Start by measuring the height, length and width of your windows.
- Take these measurements and cut the hardwood to length with the circular saw, but add 8 inches so you go onto the frame.
- Drill holes into the plywood with a power drill, use the right drill bit for the right material.
- Mark where each hole goes on the window frame and use your spirit level.
- Drill in your lag screws, make sure to place a washer between the screw and the hardwood.
If you found this section helpful, you might enjoy reading more of our articles. Recently we covered how you can make your windows stormproof, but it also covers a lot of relevant information on property security in times of distress.
Why use a boarding up service?
In an emergency when you don’t have the tools required to board up a window, a boarding up service can provide a rapid solution to your problem.
The time we recommend an emergency board up service is during a storm. You could look for a window repair service, however, it could cost you more money if the storm isn’t over. There’s no point repairing a window or door if it will get damaged again, possibly hours later. This is why boarding up is useful as it provides a great deal of property security for a fraction of the cost.
A number of our clients are individuals who have been burgled. An emergency boarding up service can stop burglars from hitting the same houses twice. In an interview with an ex burglar, they revealed that “Burglars come back to the same houses quite often. They do this because of a number of motives. It’s guaranteed that the people they robbed replaced the stuff they stole the first time, and often these replacements are of better quality than the original”.
If you are going to replace your items, you should always invest in securing your broken windows or doors. Remember, if someone has stolen from your property before, they know how to ignore your security.
At Britannia Glass, we provide a 24hr emergency boarding up service. Our experts will get back to you within an hour. You even get a free quote for the job.
What can you do instead of boarding up?
Instead of boarding up, you can fix the bigger issue by replacing or having the window fixed. Our emergency glazing service is perfect for homeowners or businesses that want their place to look normal again fast.
If you feel unsure about what service you need, then call us on 0203 305 7161. Our team of glazing experts are available 24hrs a day, 7 days a week.